Halloween Pet Tips
The fall is a fun time of year, with leaves changing, cooler weather, and Halloween! While others in the family enjoy trick or treating, use precaution keeping your pets safe during this time:
- Keep candy in an area that pets cannot reach, and never leave candy on the floor. Children’s trick or treat bags, which even if left in a closet, may be found by a dog’s excellent sense of smell.
- Chocolate, Coffee, and Caffeine contain methylxanthine, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, hyperactivity, increased heart rate, excessive thirst and urination, seizures and tremors, and even death. Dark chocolate is more toxic than milk chocolate.
- Sugar free gum, toothpaste, and candy contains Xylitol, an artificial sweetener, which causes vomiting, low blood sugar, lethargy, loss of coordination, fainting, dizziness, and liver failure. For more information about compounds that can be toxic to pets, consult the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at www.aspca.org/apcc
- Dogs that normally are friendly may become frightened or aggressive when approached by strange people in costumes, so keeping your dog away from the door during Halloween is safest. Due to the activity and excitement of Halloween night, it is best to keep all pets indoors.
This entry was posted in Pet Tips
. Bookmark the permalink